Crispy's Corner

Welcome....come on in.

Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Sunday, September 08, 2002

So it's been a so so weekend in of sorts!

I decided to rent a couple movies this weekend, Hart's War, which I thought wasn't very good, and The Majestic, which I found to be more than I expected. It stars Jim Carrey (as Peter Appleton/Luke), who plays a black listed writer in 1950's Hollywood, and the gorgeous Laurie Holden (Adelle), who plays Jim's love interest. In the movie, Jim, who after is told he has been black listed, gets drunk, has a accident, and is swept out to sea. The next day he wakes up on the beach with amnesia, so he doesn't know who he is. He is found by a resident from a near by town and takes him to see a doctor. After he gets into the near by town, people think that he is Luke, a MIA soldier lost in World War II (9 years ago) and the son of a local movie theater owner, which is called The Majestic.
Over all I thought the movie was pretty good. We all know that Jim Carrey as the outrageous, physical comedian in movies like Ace Ventura and The Cable Guy, but has also played serious roles like that in The Truman Show. He tried to do a serious role in this movie too!
There was one scene in the movie that I liked that was both romantic and funny! When we first see Laurie Holden (Odelle), we learn her character had just gotten back from graduating from Law school, but also that she had a problem with hickup-ing when she was nervous! Since Odelle and Luke were in love and both knew each other very well, it was thought that if Odelle showed Peter/Luke all the places that they both went to, it would jog Luke's memory!
One of the places that they went to was atop of a lighthouse as they were overlooking the sun light. Odelle turns to Peter/Luke and says do you remember this place, but Luke doesn't. So she tells him this is where they had their first kiss. At this point the mood of both seems nervous, because of them rekindling romance, and this is where Odelle starts to hickup! Luke asks her is there a way to stop them and she proceeds to tell him that there was only one way that she knew how to stop it when she was with him. As he begins to ask what, she grabs him and gives him a long embracing kiss. She then pulls away and it actually stops the hickups!
So in my book, I thought that was one of the most romantic scenes I have seen. To think that some one could have an affect that on you is very romantic! The only romantic thing I can think of in my live happened to me on Halloween in 1998, but that is whole different story that I'll leave for another time. But don't you wish that you can emulate the movies when it comes to romance. In the movies it seems so perfect and right!

So in other news that I can share, on Saturday night, my mom went to her 25th reunion for high school! When they came back that night they told me what happened when they were coming back home. On their way home, they hit a deer! They were alright but a cop had to shoot the deer to keep it from suffering! My mom then proceeded to tell me while they were waiting for the police and others who had stopped to help. A couple of three older teenagers, two guys and girl, had stopped and helped them while waiting. Apparently, they were from the area, Lake Monticello, in which I lived and they happened to know who my mom was since they have seen her walking with her cousin in the evenings. My mom told me that she heard the girl turn to one of the guys who said who recognized my mom, and she yelled out "Hey, that's your girlfriend!!!" Apparently the young guy had told his friends that he was enamored with my mom after seeing her walking at the Lake! I didn't believe it when she told me either!!! I thought she was just bullshitting me the story! Well, a lot of people tend to think as my mom as being really young looking! I don't know what that would make me!

Anyway, there is one thing that I do like to say in venting. Has anybody noticed that networks are bringing back old cartoons that we grew up on! I'm sure everyone knows about Transformers growing up. They have a new cartoon on them now called "Transformers Armada". Last night though, I just saw the new "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" cartoon! Is it me or are the networks and the people who make cartoons are just not coming up with any new ideas of their own. Do they have to use or most cherished and loved cartoons that we grew up on and just tweak them for this new generation of children? They just don't have the feel that I had for the old ones!!! I'm just so disappointed right now! I would really be outraged if they started to come out with new shows on "GI Joe".....or better yet...."Care Bears", "Strawberry Shortcake" and "My Little Pony". Well, maybe not the last three but you get the idea...right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home