Crispy's Corner

Welcome....come on in.

Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Monday, July 22, 2002

Yesterday I felt like shit!

The reason: I had a sore throat when I woke up. Now you are thinking...it's Sunday, you can stay in bed all day if you wanted to. That wasn't the case. I had to work on Sunday in the Ticket Office at Monticello....the home of Thomas Jefferson. I stopped working there when I got my job here at Autosport at the beginning of the year. The reason I worked in the Ticket Office is that Lee...the supervisor....needed a favor because he was short handed. Actually I do it mostly because he knows me so well working that I can use him and Monticello as a reference!
Anyway, I thought I was going to be fine yesterday. WRONG!!! You have to realize that on weekends in the summer, Monticello has about 3 thousand visitors aday!!! I have to say the same thing to about half of them!!! Usually at first if there are a few people at time that come up to the Ticket Office, all I have to do is to tell these people..."Line up behind the chimney and wait for the next shuttle". It's not a problem when we have visitor service people directing them where to go. However it gets crazy once the bulk of the visitors starts coming in. One by one, they keep coming in like an assembly line!!! IT NEVER STOPS!!!
When the visitors come in at a pace where there is no end, they start to ask the same questions: "Where's the shuttle?" "Where's the house?" Where do I line up for the tour?" The kicker to this that when we get so many people coming, we start to use a system of time cards telling people when to line up for the tour. I have actually worked on my speech to tell these people this and I use it over and over. This is my speech:

"Once you buy your tickets, you line up for the shuttle behind the chimney to take you to the house. When you get off, you will get a time card that tells you what time to be in line for the house tour. In the mean time, you can tour the grounds and gardens."

It seems easy right? Well, try saying that to each person that comes up to buy a ticket. You get tired and frustrated, wishing that one of the visitor service people would tell them this. They actually do sometimes, but then those same visitors that were told this, would ask you the same question!!!
Well, once your tired...and with me with the sore throat....your voice eventually begins to fade or you start to babble like I did yesterday. The words from my speech started to run together or made no sense. This is what It started to sound like:

"Once you bite your crickets, sign up for the snuggle behind the skinned knee. When you get off, you will get a mime hard that sells you what sign to be in line for the horse tour. I am a mean mime, you can tour the mound and harden."

See....it doesn't make sense!!!!

And I have to do it again next Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home