Crispy's Corner

Welcome....come on in.

Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Hmmmmm…..let me see.

I’ve been busy around the house lately. The last month, my father and I have been trying to put up a fence around my property. Why? Because my neighbor is getting a cow. The next question that I get is why do we have to put up the fence, it’s the neighbor that’s getting the cow. Well, it’s actually my fault. There was a fence before I built the house, but when I had to put in the driveway and build the house, the fence that was there had to be torn down. We told my neighbor that we would put it back up if she decided to get another cow. Well, these last few weeks working on it has been a hard job. Working with my father has never been easy since he has a short temper and is a perfectionist. I did lose it a couple of weeks ago when I cussed him out, which was the first time in my life! Long story!

The grass is turning out very nicely around the house. It has helped with the erosion, since I had that problem last year. I finally got to use the riding lawn mower for the first time on Sunday. Let me just that riding that thing down the yard is scary as hell the first couple times down it. I had to put the brake on down the whole way and I was fish tailing a better part of the way down.

I’m also putting rip rap around the back of the house and down the right side of the bank. This will help with the erosion still. However, the hard part is putting all the rocks down which will a long hard back-breaking job. Once I finish though, it will look awesome. Next job after that will put in the fire pit.

I’ve been playing softball with both my company and church teams. My company team is finally doing well since we started three years ago. Right now we are 4 and 4, which doesn’t look that great but if you knew the company, that happens to be the best record we’ve had ever! It’s the middle of the season, so we still might have a winning record.

I saw “Star Wars: Episode III” on Sunday night. Before seeing it, I did read all the spoilers to it but that didn’t stop me from wanting to see it. I was impressed with it and I’m sure like everyone else, felt like this was the better of the first three. It can’t beat Star Wars, A New Hope or Empire Strikes back, but it was better than the others. I was disappointed that the reason that Amidala died was because of a broken heart. Kind of a pathetic excuse of a way to die. Also, we find out how Darth Vader gets his name, but I’ve been asking what does Vader mean? Maybe we weren’t meant to know how the Sith get their names.

Been watching all the season finales the last two weeks. I was watching NCIS last night and I was very disappointed that they killed off one of the main characters. She was shot in the head by a sniper! Again I was aghast by this way of being killed. Though this does make me want to know what they are going to do next season. Also, I watched the finale of 24 and was impressed. I’m not a big fan of Keifer Sutherland, but this role fits him. I think good writing has helped that show, though it can be over the top sometimes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey crispy -

i also read all the spoilers before seeing episode III and still thought it was really good. i then went and read all the trivia pages on imdb.com (because i'm insane), and learned that "vader" is "father" in dutch. i also learned that i somehow never saw episode VI (or II), and i don't remember pretty much anything about the others, so i have some star wars catching up to do...

if your neighbor were to build their fence without your input, would you have to pay half the cost? there was an article in the post this weekend (here, but it's pretty long and you'll need a login if you don't already have one) about the ames/brooks feud that ended up with brooks getting killed out in caroline county. it pretty much started out with ames telling brooks he'd have to shell out $45k to build his fence, so it's good that you're being a nice neighbor and offering to help on your own.

-stacey

May 26, 2005 at 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Vader is dutch for father.

May 26, 2005 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Ok.....Vader means father in Dutch....I get. But does that mean the Emperor was Dutch? Darth "Father"? Are there Dutch in Space? I know there are Jews in Space which we can thank Mel Brooks for that. I'm just curious why Palpatine picked Vader as his name though? And I shall call him .....Darth....Vader. Was there a purpose behind it or was he just pulling names out of his ass!

As for the fence, it's just a simple mesh and barbed wire fence. It's far cheaper for us to do it than trying to get professionals to. Like I said, the only downside to putting it up was hearing my father cuss the whole time! But what's new!

May 26, 2005 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think george lucas had more to do with naming darth vader than palpatine did :) i imagine that he went with a foreign language because darth father just doesn't have the same ring to it... not necessarily that darth vader is actually dutch. and off the top of my head, i think he might've gone with "vader" because he is luke's father. i'm still working on a theory that connects the dutch "vader" to the german "vater", which would then somehow bring us to the nazi-era german idea of "vaterland". yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, though.

-stacey

May 26, 2005 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home