Crispy's Corner

Welcome....come on in.

Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

On Sunday, I went to the Virginia Renaissance Festival at Lake Anna. I’ve only been to one other, which was in Minnesota last August. The one in Minnesota was huge and being that it was the first time I’ve ever been to a Renaissance Fest, I was in awe. So when I went to the one at Lake Anna, I had something to compare. When I got there though, I wasn’t terribly impressed. Not many vendors or attractions, but it did have a few bright spots. Lots and lots of swords and weapons, a couple of good attractions, and lots of cleavage!

The fest in Minnesota showcased all sorts of dances, bands, and sideshows. I enjoyed the jousting, even though it rained during the middle of the thing. Lots of animals were showcased, such as boas, alligators, and other reptiles. However, at the Virginia Fest, the only animals showcased were an Alpaca and a couple of baby chickens and ducks and a beautiful and big Alaskan Husky. I was disappointed also since I got to see a lot of belly dancers in Minnesota but not here in Virginia.

There were a few things I did enjoyed. There was one show that was put on by a contortionist/juggler. He started out his routine with a few tricks with the contortion and moved to juggling. I was standing in the rear while most people were sitting down on hay bales and a few kids sitting up front near the stage. There was actually one kid, probably between 4 and 6 that I could constantly hear talking to the guy on stage. At one point, the guy started with the fire sticks and was doing a trick that consisted of a stick, the bottom being on his chin and balancing it on top of it another wand that was set on fire on both ends (just visualize the sticks being in a T formation on his chin). He finished the trick and everybody clapped in appreciation. He proceeded then to tell the audience that would do the same balancing trick, saying that all the women would enjoy this one, by balancing it on his tongue! When he finished, he said to the audience; “Well, I hope that all the adults in the audience would get that (refering to what he said about the women enjoying the trick). But I hope that none of you kids do!”. Well, right when the guy said that, the kid that was just talking up a storm to the guy in the front just yelled out “I GET IT, I GET IT!”. At that very moment everybody in the audience just busted out in laughter. However, the guy on stage rolled with it and asked where the boy’s mother was! Reluctantly though, everybody saw the boy’s mother, who was sitting on the ground raised her hand in acknowledgment. I think everybody got a kick out it.

I think the Minnesota fest spoiled the Virginia one for me since that was my first time to one. I’ll probably go back again in the future since my friend Rachel told me this is still new down here. We’ll see. Next thing I have to go see is a Sci Fi convention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home